the size you choose for your vegetable garden will be determined by the amount of available space you have in your backyard.
Orientation to sun - the plants in your garden will want to face south, and will require a minimum of 5 hours of direct sunlight per day, The area of maximum continuous light will likely be the best location for your garden.
in-ground garden beds
- easiest way to get a bed established; nothing to build
- cheaper than buying lumber for raised beds
- pathway weeds can creep into the bed
- more likely that pets and children will walk on the beds
- you have to reach further down to tend the plants
raised garden beds
- provide the best drainage and prevent soil compaction
- soil warms up more quickly in the spring
- the bed sides prevent weeds from creeping into the bed
- easier to tend the plants because the soil level is raised
- serve as a barrier to pests such as slugs and snails
- for more information, including how to build.